Sunday, March 14, 2010

Preston's

Preston’s is cozy. The bar has a flat screen TV that is nestled in the middle of its many alcohol choices. You can sit at the bar while you wait for your table, or choose the small sitting area that is in front of the hostesses stand. The downstairs, where we were seated, was comfortable with an assortment of booths and tables. The lighting was good for ambiance, and otherwise, Preston’s had the feel of a steakhouse. Nothing frou-frou will be found in this decor, just a straight forward presentation.


The menu has quite an assortment. Preston’s boasts “Super Foods” on their menu. They are marked with a little insignia and they are ingredients that are good for your health (visit their website for a more complete run down of the benefits).


I started with the Texas Tomato and Mozzarella salad with jalapeño relish. It was amazing. The cheese was nicely proportioned to the size of the beefy Heirloom tomatoes. The relish gave it an amazing flavor. I would definitely order this again.



My friend had the Texas Bibb and Blue Cheese Salad. It, too, looked scrumptious and there were no complaints.



From there, I moved on to the Jumbo Lump Crab cakes with Avocado Sauce. The crab cakes were tasty and done well, but the avocado sauce was almost tasteless. After the jalapeño relish that accompanied my earlier dish, I expected more. Also, for the price (in relation to other items on the menu), I found the cakes to be a little on the small side.



My companion ordered the Chicken Fried Portobello Mushroom served with mashed potatoes. It looked delicious! Upon giving it the taste tests, I think the chicken fried batter might have needed something extra (Salt? Spices?), but on the whole it was good. This dish is unique, so if you find yourself at Preston’s, please make sure to give it a try!



Another nice feature of this restaurant: live music. When we visited on Tuesday night, they had a piano player who added a little something extra to the meal.


Valet parking is offered, but not a must if you don’t mind walking a little. I will say that the host took our tickets out to the valet to arrange for the retrieval of our cars – it was a pleasant experience.


On the whole, I would visit Preston’s again. I think they have a little room for improvement, but the things I sampled were good enough to invite a second visit for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I tried the chicken fried mushroom and couldn't have been more pleased. One of those things that I would go back for:)

    ReplyDelete