Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mi Dia from Scratch

Chef Gabriel DeLeon has held a special place in our hearts since he opened Masaryk in Addison. That was one of our favorite spots with delicious drinks and unique dishes. But things didn't work out in Addison, and Chef Gabriel closed his doors. Sad.

We were excited to read, however, that he has risen like a phoenix from the ashes and opened a new spot, Mi Dia from Scratch, in Grapevine. The new location is gorgeous. Huge windows, comfortable seating that feels intimate, rich colors - we were immediately impressed with outward appearances.

The chips were warm. The salsas were a unique presentation of smoky and spicy served together. Doubly impressed.


Our waiter was nice, but slow. He went over the specials - all which sounded amazing. The Tequila Pesto Enchiladas and the Pollo Agave are on my radar for the next visit. I, however, had my heart set on one particular dish: the Applewood Smoked Bacon & Chipotle Chicken Fajitas. These are spicy, but so worth the heartburn aftermath.

Bacon, fajita chicken, and caramelized onions are smothered in cheese and Chipotle sauce , served with the freshest, burning hot flour tortillas, and the regular set up of rice, beans, guac, and sour cream. These fajitas put all others to shame, there is no doubt about it.



To finish up, we went with the Mexican S'mores. Though it says so plainly in the menu, I missed that this dish involved goat cheese. I'm sure that other people would dig it - the parts that weren't cheesed up were good. However, goat cheese is a forbidden food, so that blew up the s'mores for me. Since I was already unpleasantly full, I didn't let that bother me.


All in all, Mi Dia has some kinks, my IBC root beer was served warm and when I asked for a cold one, the waiter said they didn't have any. However, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Make a reservation! This place is hopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment